- Multimodal imaging of pre-Descemet corneal dystrophy. [Journal Article]
- EJEur J Ophthalmol 2019 Jul 12; :1120672119862505
- CONCLUSIONS: The clinical presentation and structural anomalies found in isolated sporadic pre-Descemet corneal dystrophy are in favor of a degenerative process affecting corneal keratocytes with no epithelial or endothelial involvement. The maximum damage is found just anterior to the Descemet membrane resulting in pre-Descemet membrane location of stromal opacities. Multimodal imaging of cornea reveals that the disorder affects the whole stroma and it permits better understanding of pre-Descemet corneal dystrophy pathophysiology together with ascertained diagnosis.
- Transforming growth factor beta-induced p.(L558P) variant is associated with autosomal dominant lattice corneal dystrophy type IV in a large cohort of Spanish patients. [Journal Article]
- CEClin Exp Ophthalmol 2019 May 06
- CONCLUSIONS: To the best of our knowledge, we describe a detailed clinical characterization of the largest CD cohort carrying the TGFBI p.(L558P) variant. We propose that the atypical phenotype of this recently reported alteration can be classified as a form of LCD type IV. The results show that OCT and anterior-posterior analysis of the stromal location of the opacities, along with a genetic analysis of TGFBI, are required to ensure accurate diagnosis and management of CDs.
- Secondary hemostasis studies of crude venom and isolated proteins from the snake Crotalus durissus terrificus. [Journal Article]
- IJInt J Biol Macromol 2019 Jun 15; 131:127-133
- Among the activities triggered by Crotalus durissus terrificus snake venom, coagulation is intriguing and contradictory since the venom contains both coagulant and anticoagulant precursor proteins. T…
Among the activities triggered by Crotalus durissus terrificus snake venom, coagulation is intriguing and contradictory since the venom contains both coagulant and anticoagulant precursor proteins. This work describes the in vitro effects of crude venom and purified proteins from snake Crotalus durissus terrificus as they affect coagulation factors of clotting pathways. Coagulant and/or anticoagulant activities of crude venom, and purified proteins were all analyzed directly in human plasma. Clots formed by crude venom and Gyroxin presented as flexible hyaline masses in punctiform distribution. Clot formation time evaluation of isolated proteins with PT and APTT assays made it possible to infer that these proteins interfere in all coagulation pathways. However, regarding ophidism by C. d. terrificus, Gyroxin acts directly, breaking down fibrinogen to fibrin and increasing the amount plasminogen activator, which results in the formation of thrombi. Crotoxin complex, Crotoxin A and Crotoxin B proteins can act in prothrombinase complex formation; Crotoxin B can inhibit prothrombinase complex formation by direct interaction with Factor Xa. Crotamine interacts with negatively charged regions of differing coagulation factors in all coagulation pathways, and possesses a whole set of activities causing dysfunction, activation and/or inhibition of natural anticoagulants and disturbing hemostasis.
- Correction to: Heredity and in vivo confocal microscopy of punctiform and polychromatic pre-Descemet dystrophy. [Journal Article]
- GAGraefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2019; 257(5):1059
- In the original publication, presentation of the following author names are incorrect in the HTML version.
In the original publication, presentation of the following author names are incorrect in the HTML version.
- [Magnetic resonance imaging and diffusion weighted imaging features of focal peliosis hepatis]. [Journal Article]
- ZYZhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 2019 Feb 19; 99(7):496-499
- CONCLUSIONS: The MRI performance of focal peliosis hepatis had a certain characteristic. MRI combined with diffusion weighted imaging could help to make diagnoses.
- Metabolic Engineering of Saccharomyces cerevisiae for Production of Shinorine, a Sunscreen Material, from Xylose. [Journal Article]
- ASACS Synth Biol 2019 Feb 15; 8(2):346-357
- Shinorine, a mycosporine-like amino acid (MAA), is a small molecule sunscreen produced in some bacteria. In this study, by introducing shinorine biosynthetic genes from cyanobacteria Nostoc punctifor…
Shinorine, a mycosporine-like amino acid (MAA), is a small molecule sunscreen produced in some bacteria. In this study, by introducing shinorine biosynthetic genes from cyanobacteria Nostoc punctiform into Saccharomyces cerevisiae, we successfully constructed yeast strains capable of producing shinorine. Sedoheptulose 7-phosphate (S7P), an intermediate of the pentose phosphate pathway, is a key substrate for shinorine biosynthesis. To increase the S7P pool, xylose, which is assimilated via the pentose phosphate pathway, was used as a carbon source after introducing xylose assimilation genes from Scheffersomyces stipitis into the shinorine-producing strain. The resulting xylose-fermenting strain produced a trace amount of shinorine when cells were grown in glucose, but shinorine production was dramatically increased by adding xylose in the medium. Shinorine production was further improved by modulating the pentose phosphate pathway through deleting TAL1 and overexpressing STB5 and TKL1. The final engineered strain JHYS17-4 produced 31.0 mg/L (9.62 mg/g DCW) of shinorine in the optimized medium containing 8 g/L of xylose and 12 g/L of glucose, demonstrating that S. cerevisiae is a promising host to produce this natural sunscreen material.
- Endoscopic treatment of nonmalignant tracheoesophageal and bronchoesophageal fistula: results and prognostic factors for its success. [Journal Article]
- SESurg Endosc 2019; 33(2):549-556
- CONCLUSIONS: Endoscopic treatment of ERF leads to 45.5% of successful endoscopic closure and 55.5% of functional success, depending on fistula's orifice size. After 6 months without healing, the chances for success dramatically decrease.
- Angiographic Signatures of the Predominant Form of Familial Transthyretin Amyloidosis (Val30Met Mutation). [Journal Article]
- AJAm J Ophthalmol 2018; 192:169-177
- CONCLUSIONS: RAA is a frequent and severe complication of V30M-FTA that may lead to anterior and posterior segment neovascularization. CAA was detected in all patients, with a late hypercyanescent delineation of the choroidal arterial vasculature, which was more extensive with increased disease severity.
- A Collet-Sicard syndrome due to internal carotid artery dissection associated with cerebral amyloid angiopathy-related inflammation. [Case Reports]
- SOSAGE Open Med Case Rep 2018; 6:2050313X18777176
- CONCLUSIONS: This case report suggests that extra-cranial vasculitis and dysplasia can exceptionally be found in patients satisfying cerebral amyloid angiopathy-related inflammation criteria.
New Search Next
- Langerhans cell histiocytosis presenting as Crohn's disease: a case report. [Case Reports]
- IJInt J Colorectal Dis 2018; 33(10):1501-1504
- CONCLUSIONS: LCH may mimic inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and must be suspected in the presence of other suggestive clinical signs, or when there is failure of conventional IBD treatment.