- Three-dimensional digital reconstruction of renal model to guide preoperative planning of robot-assisted partial nephrectomy. [Journal Article]
- IJInt J Urol 2019 Jun 24
- Impaired local dynamic stability during treadmill walking predicts future falls in patients with multiple sclerosis: A prospective cohort study. [Journal Article]
- CBClin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 2019 May 09; 67:197-201
- CONCLUSIONS: The results may indicate that the assessment of local stability of walking can identify patients who would benefit from gait retraining and fall prevention programs.
- Feasible atomic-resolution electron tomography for general crystal surfaces by quantitative reconstruction from a high-resolution image. [Journal Article]
- UUltramicroscopy 2019 Jun 10; 205:27-38
- Whether or not the 3-dimensional surface morphologies of a crystal sample can be reconstructed at atomic-scale from a single 2-dimensional image becomes an interesting issue in high-resolution transm…
Whether or not the 3-dimensional surface morphologies of a crystal sample can be reconstructed at atomic-scale from a single 2-dimensional image becomes an interesting issue in high-resolution transmission electron microscopy, after the work by Jia et al. . Here we propose an improved and self-validated algorithm to enhance such an electron tomography method and to make it applicable to more general crystal surfaces even with thin amorphous layers. Our study shows that a resolution in the beam (z) direction and a confidence level have to be defined and estimated after performing tomographic reconstruction in order to evaluate the quality and the reliability of its result. Applying the proposed procedure to the Si image to recover the surface morphologies of a silicon crystal with amorphous contamination, the obtained results show that an atomic-resolution of 0.384 nm in the z-direction and a high confidence level of 95% are achieved for imaging the Si-surface structures, quantitatively described by tomographic parameters, i.e., the height (defocus) and the thickness (atom number) of Si-atomic columns.
- In situ Structure of Rotavirus VP1 RNA-Dependent RNA Polymerase. [Journal Article]
- JMJ Mol Biol 2019 Jun 21
- Rotaviruses, like other non-enveloped, double-strand RNA (dsRNA) viruses, package an RNA-dependent RNA polymerase (RdRp) with each duplex of their segmented genomes. Rotavirus cell entry results in l…
Rotaviruses, like other non-enveloped, double-strand RNA (dsRNA) viruses, package an RNA-dependent RNA polymerase (RdRp) with each duplex of their segmented genomes. Rotavirus cell entry results in loss of an outer protein layer and delivery into the cytosol of an intact, inner capsid particle (the "double-layer particle" or DLP). The RdRp, designated VP1, is active inside the DLP; each VP1 achieves many rounds of mRNA transcription from its associated genome segment. Previous work has shown that one VP1 molecule lies close to each fivefold axis of the icosahedrally symmetric DLP, just beneath the inner surface of its protein shell, embedded in tightly packed RNA. We have determined a high-resolution structure for the rotavirus VP1 RdRp in situ, by local reconstruction of density around individual fivefold positions. We have analyzed intact virions ("triple-layer particles" or TLPs), non-transcribing DLPs and transcribing DLPs. Outer layer dissociation enables the DLP to synthesize RNA, in vitro as well as in vivo, but appears not to induce any detectable structural change in the RdRp. Addition of NTPs, Mg2+, and S-adenosyl methionine, which allows active transcription, results in conformational rearrangements, in both VP1 and the DLP capsid shell protein, that allow a transcript to exit the polymerase and the particle. The position of VP1 (among the five symmetrically related alternatives) at one vertex does not correlate with its position at other vertices. This stochastic distribution of site occupancies limits long-range order in the 11-segment, dsRNA genome.
- Bilateral brachiocephalic vein and superior vena cava reconstruction with an aortic allograft. [Journal Article]
- ATAnn Thorac Surg 2019 Jun 21
- Malignant thymoma can be invasive and may at times require radical resection. Here we present a case with phrenic nerve, right upper lobe, bilateral brachiocephalic vein and superior vena cava involv…
Malignant thymoma can be invasive and may at times require radical resection. Here we present a case with phrenic nerve, right upper lobe, bilateral brachiocephalic vein and superior vena cava involvement. Total venous reconstruction was carried out with a cryopreserved aortic allograft by using the aortic root, ongoing transverse arch and innominate arterial branch. The patient then had postop radiation therapy for a total of 63 Gy over 35 treatment days. Follow up imaging demonstrates no evidence of recurrence and intermediate term patency but with homograft calcification developing at 4 years.
- Weakened growth of cropland N2 O emissions in China associated with nationwide policy interventions. [Journal Article]
- GCGlob Chang Biol 2019 Jun 24
- China has experienced rapid agricultural development over recent decades, accompanied by increased fertilizer consumption in croplands, yet the trend and drivers of the associated nitrous oxide (N2 O…
China has experienced rapid agricultural development over recent decades, accompanied by increased fertilizer consumption in croplands, yet the trend and drivers of the associated nitrous oxide (N2 O) emissions remain uncertain. The primary sources of this uncertainty are the coarse spatial variation of activity data and the incomplete model representation of N2 O emissions in response to agricultural management. Here we provide new data-driven estimates of cropland N2 O emissions across China in 1990-2014, compiled using a global cropland-N2 O flux observation dataset, nationwide survey-based reconstruction of N-fertilization and irrigation, and an updated nonlinear model. In addition, we have evaluated the drivers behind changing cropland N2 O patterns using an index decomposition analysis approach. We find that China's annual cropland-N2 O emissions increased on average by 11.2 Gg N yr-2 (P < 0.001) from 1990 to 2003, after which emissions plateaued until 2014 (2.8 Gg N yr-2 , P = 0.02), consistent with the output from an ensemble of process-based terrestrial biosphere models (TBMs). The slowdown of the increase in cropland-N2 O emissions after 2003 was pervasive across two thirds of China's sowing areas. This change was mainly driven by the nationwide reduction of N-fertilizer applied per area, partially due to the prevalence of nationwide technological adoptions. This reduction has almost offset the N2 O emissions induced by policy-driven expansion of sowing areas, particularly in the Northeast Plain and the lower Yangtze River Basin. Our results underline the importance of high-resolution activity data and adoption of nonlinear model of N2 O emission for capturing cropland-N2 O emission changes. Improving the representation of policy interventions is also recommended for future projections. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
- The thin profunda femoral artery perforator flap for tongue reconstruction. [Journal Article]
- MMicrosurgery 2019 Jun 24
- CONCLUSIONS: The dissection above the superficial fascia layer represents an important refinement to the traditional fasciocutaneous PAP flap. Flap thickness can be tailored to avoid excess of bulk in the medial thigh observed in larger BMI populations.
- Transcriptome analysis identified aberrant gene expression in pollen developmental pathways leading to CGMS in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). [Journal Article]
- PlosPLoS One 2019; 14(6):e0218381
- Male sterility (induced or natural) is a potential tool for commercial hybrid seed production in different crops. Despite numerous endeavors to understand the physiological, hereditary, and molecular…
Male sterility (induced or natural) is a potential tool for commercial hybrid seed production in different crops. Despite numerous endeavors to understand the physiological, hereditary, and molecular cascade of events governing CMS in cotton, the exact biological process controlling sterility and fertility reconstruction remains obscure. During current study, RNA-Seq using Ion Torrent S5 platform is carried out to identify 'molecular portraits' in floral buds among the Cytoplasmic Genic Male Sterility (CGMS) line, its near-isogenic maintainer, and restorer lines. A total of 300, 438 and 455 genes were differentially expressed in CGMS, Maintainer, and Restorer lines respectively. The functional analysis using AgriGo revealed suppression in the pathways involved in biogenesis and metabolism of secondary metabolites which play an important role in pollen and anther maturation. Enrichment analysis showed dearth related to pollen and anther's development in sterile line, including anomalous expression of genes and transcription factors that have a role in the development of the reproductive organ, abnormal cytoskeleton formation, defects in cell wall formation. The current study found aberrant expression of DYT1, AMS and cytochrome P450 genes involved in tapetum formation, pollen development, pollen exine and anther cuticle formation associated to male sterility as well as fertility restoration of CGMS. In the current study, more numbers of DEGs were found on Chromosome D05 and A05 as compared to other chromosomes. Expression pattern analysis of fourteen randomly selected genes using qRT-PCR showed high concurrence with gene expression profile of RNA-Seq analysis accompanied by a strong correlation of 0.82. The present study provides an important support for future studies in identifying interaction between cyto-nuclear molecular portraits, to accelerate functional genomics and molecular breeding related to cytoplasmic male sterility studies in cotton.
- A Comparison of Quadriceps Tendon Autograft With Bone-Patellar Tendon-Bone Autograft and Hamstring Tendon Autograft for Primary Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: A Systematic Review and Quantitative Synthesis. [Journal Article]
- CJClin J Sport Med 2019 Jun 19
- CONCLUSIONS: Quadriceps tendon autograft is a suitable graft alternative for primary ACLR, as it achieves good clinical outcomes with a low incidence of anterior knee pain. Given the limited quality of the included studies, there is a need for a well-designed multicenter randomized control trial comparing QT autograft with other primary ACL autografts to confirm our findings.
New Search Next
- Surgical Reconstruction of an Open Medial Malleolus Fracture Using a Novel Technique: A Case Report. [Journal Article]
- JCJBJS Case Connect 2019 Jun 21
- CONCLUSIONS: Open MM fracture with bone and soft tissue loss is rare. It is feasible to treat this injury with a novel surgical reconstruction technique involving autogenous bicortical iliac bone graft and radial forearm free flap.