- VITALITY: impact of adalimumab on health and disability outcomes in patients with Crohn's disease, rheumatoid arthritis or psoriasis treated in clinical practice in New Zealand. [Journal Article]
- CMCurr Med Res Opin 2019 Jun 24; :1
- CONCLUSIONS: Health and disability outcomes improved significantly after 6 months of adalimumab use in NZ patients with severe CD, RA, or psoriasis. Clinicaltrials.gov: NCT02451839.
- A phase I dose-reduction study of apatinib combined with pemetrexed and carboplatin in untreated EGFR and ALK negative stage IV non-squamous NSCLC. [Journal Article]
- INInvest New Drugs 2019 Jun 24
- Objective Apatinib is an oral small molecule anti-angiogenic drug. This phase I study aimed to establish the feasible dose of apatinib in combination with pemetrexed plus carboplatin as first-line th…
Objective Apatinib is an oral small molecule anti-angiogenic drug. This phase I study aimed to establish the feasible dose of apatinib in combination with pemetrexed plus carboplatin as first-line therapy for epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) and anaplasticlymphoma kinase (ALK) negative stage IV non-squamous non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Methods Using a 3 + 3 dose-reduction design, patients received oral apatinib at four dose levels: 750 mg qd, 500 mg qd, 500 mg/day two weeks on/one week off schedule (500 mg schedule 2/1) or 250 mg qd. Pemetrexed (500 mg/m2) plus carboplatin (AUG = 5) was administered every three weeks. Maintenance therapy by apatinib or pemetrexed could be carried on until disease progression or unacceptable toxicity. The feasible dose was determined based on cycle 1 dose-limiting toxicities (DLT); other assessments included safety and antitumor activity according to response evaluation criteria in solid tumors. Result A total of twelve patients were enrolled and cycle 1 DLTs were observed in two patients at 750 mg qd dosage of apatinib (both Grade 3 hypertension), two patients at 500 mg qd (Grade 3 hypertension and Grade 3 hand-foot syndrome), and only one of six patients at 500 mg/day schedule 2/1 (Grade 3 hypertension). The most frequently drug-related adverse events (AEs) were hematological toxicity, hypertension, hand-foot syndrome, and hepatic transaminases elevation. Partial response was observed in four patients of eleven evaluable patients (objective response rate 36.4%), and six patients exhibited stable disease (disease control rate 90.9%). Conclusion In patients with advanced non-squamous NSCLC, the feasible dose of apatinib given with standard-dose pemetrexed and carboplatin was 500 mg/day schedule 2/1. The schedule was generally well tolerated and demonstrated promising clinical benefit in NSCLC.
- Binge Eating Disorder and Related Features in Bariatric Surgery Candidates. [Journal Article]
- OMOpen Med (Wars) 2019; 14:407-415
- CONCLUSIONS: The recognition of factors involved in the development and maintenance of disordered eating in bariatric patients may support the choice of particular therapeutic strategies and improve bariatric surgery outcome. Further studies on this issue would be useful.
- Financing Agriculture in Nigeria through Agricultural Extension Services of Agricultural Development Programmes (ADPs). [Journal Article]
- FF1000Res 2018; 7:1833
- The ADPs were designed in response to a fall in agricultural productivity and hence a concern to sustain domestic food supplies. The study examined "Financing Agriculture in Nigeria through Agricultu…
The ADPs were designed in response to a fall in agricultural productivity and hence a concern to sustain domestic food supplies. The study examined "Financing Agriculture in Nigeria through Agricultural Extension Services of Agricultural Development Programmes." It sought to ascertain the extent to which agricultural extension services of the agricultural development programmes have impacted the financing of agriculture in six selected local government areas in Edo South senatorial district, Nigeria using a sample of 120 respondents. Stratified random sampling was used to select the respondents. Interview schedule served as the research instrument. The research data were analyzed using t-test and Pearson correlation, which served as the inferential statistics. The research findings showed that the extension services of ADP have impacted significantly on crop development in the selected communities but have not had significant impact on employment creation and the development of infrastructural facilities. The study also revealed that there was no significant difference between the implementation of the projects in the selected communities, as revealed by the correlation test. On the basis of the research findings, the need for a complete redesign of the project to ensure that it achieves its stated goals as well as ensure proper monitoring of its implementation were suggested, among others.
- Effects of motor imagery combined with action observation training on the lateral specificity of muscle strength in healthy subjects. [Journal Article]
- BRBiomed Res 2019; 40(3):107-113
- Unilateral training of both lateral limbs increases unilateral muscle strength, whereas bilateral training increases bilateral muscle strength, a phenomenon known as lateral specificity in resistance…
Unilateral training of both lateral limbs increases unilateral muscle strength, whereas bilateral training increases bilateral muscle strength, a phenomenon known as lateral specificity in resistance training. Although motor imagery (MI) combined with action observation (AO) (i.e., MI + AO) training increases muscle strength, it is not completely understood whether such training increases the lateral specificity of muscle strength in a way resistance training does. To investigate whether MI + AO induces lateral specificity of muscle strength increase, 18 healthy subjects were divided into groups: MI + AO and the control groups. The control group watched a movie of natural sceneries for ten minutes per day five times a week for three weeks, whereas the MI + AO group imagined bilateral shoulder flexion while watching a movie of athletes performing bilateral shoulder flexion with barbells or dumbbells, with the same time schedule. The MI + AO group alone showed a significant increase in bilateral shoulder strength at three weeks after the intervention compared with the baseline. Unilateral shoulder strength was not significantly altered. These results suggest that MI + AO training increases muscle strength, providing evidence that similar to resistance training, lateral specificity also exists in MI + AO training.
- Efficacy of the 1-year (13-cycle) segesterone acetate and ethinylestradiol contraceptive vaginal system: results of two multicentre, open-label, single-arm, phase 3 trials. [Journal Article]
- LGLancet Glob Health 2019 Jun 20
- CONCLUSIONS: The segesterone acetate and ethinylestradiol contraceptive vaginal system is an effective contraceptive for 13 consecutive cycles of use. This new product adds to the contraceptive method mix and the 1-year duration of use means that women do not need to return to the clinic or pharmacy for refills every few months.
- [Efficacy of photopheresis in the treatment of erosive lichen planus: A retrospective study]. [Journal Article]
- ADAnn Dermatol Venereol 2019 Jun 21
- CONCLUSIONS: Our study supports the data in the literature from 28 published cases. Treatment efficacy and improvement in symptoms were rapidly apparent. PCE is generally a well-tolerated treatment, with only one patient dropping out of our study, but it imposes certain scheduling, technical and cost constraints. These constraints and the frequency of relapse underscore the question of treatment duration. The initial therapeutic schedule for PCE does not appear to modify the times required to achieve remission of erosive lichen planus.
- Depression Severity Over 27 Months in Adolescent Girls Is Predicted by Stress-Linked Cortical Morphology. [Journal Article]
- BPBiol Psychiatry 2019 May 07
- CONCLUSIONS: Consistent with evidence from imaging studies of trauma-exposed youths and preclinical stress models, a heavy burden of recent common life stress in community-dwelling adolescent girls was associated with altered frontal/parietal cortical morphology. Stress-linked precuneus cortical thickness represents a candidate prospective biomarker of adolescent depression.
- Novel phase I trial design to evaluate the addition of cediranib or selumetinib to preoperative chemoradiotherapy for locally advanced rectal cancer: the DREAMtherapy trial. [Journal Article]
- EJEur J Cancer 2019 Jun 20; 117:48-59
- CONCLUSIONS: This novel intertwined trial design is an effective way to independently investigate multiple agents with radiotherapy. The combination of cediranib with CRT was well tolerated with encouraging efficacy. TNFα emerged as a potential predictive biomarker of response and warrants further evaluation.
New Search Next
- Efficacy and safety results from a phase 1b/2, multicenter, open-label study of oprozomib and dexamethasone in patients with relapsed and/or refractory multiple myeloma. [Journal Article]
- LRLeuk Res 2019 Jun 17; 83:106172
- Oprozomib is an oral proteasome inhibitor with activity in multiple myeloma (MM). Our phase 1b/2 study examined the safety and efficacy of oprozomib with dexamethasone in patients with relapsed and r…
Oprozomib is an oral proteasome inhibitor with activity in multiple myeloma (MM). Our phase 1b/2 study examined the safety and efficacy of oprozomib with dexamethasone in patients with relapsed and refractory MM. Oprozomib was administered with a 5/14 or 2/7 schedule with dexamethasone. Phase 1b primary objectives were to determine the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) and recommended phase 2 dose (RP2D) of oprozomib; phase 2 primary objectives were to determine overall response rate (ORR) and safety/tolerability of the RP2D. Between July 2, 2013, and August 29, 2016, data were available on 65 enrolled patients (5/14 schedule, n = 19; 2/7 schedule, n = 46). In phase 1b, MTD was 180 mg (5/14 schedule) and not reached (2/7 schedule); RP2D was 300 mg (2/7 schedule). In phases 1b and 2, ORR across dosing cohorts (210-330 mg) for the 2/7 schedule was 58.7% overall and 46.4% for bortezomib-refractory patients (n = 28). All patients reported ≥1 treatment-emergent adverse event (AE); the most common AEs were gastrointestinal. Grade ≥3 AEs occurred in 78.9% and 82.6% of patients on the 5/14 and 2/7 schedules, respectively. The oprozomib and dexamethasone combination has encouraging activity and could be an important MM therapy if gastrointestinal tolerability is improved.