- Virulence properties of three new Photobacterium species affecting cultured fish. [Journal Article]J Appl Microbiol 2019JA
- CONCLUSIONS: The toxic activity of the bacterial ECPs was thermolabile, and not associated with their thermoresistant lipopolysaccharide content. The virulence of the strains tested could not be related to the haemolytic activity. Iron uptake could be based on the use of endogenous citrate as iron carrier and P. toruni lacks the ability to use heme as iron source.The study analyses for the first time the virulence properties of three new species of Photobacterium pathogenic for fish. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
- Splenic serum from portal hypertensive patients enhances liver stem cell proliferation and self-renewal via the IGF-II/ERK signaling pathway. [Journal Article]Dig Liver Dis 2019DL
- CONCLUSIONS: The spleen in PH patients promotes FLSC proliferation and self-renewal through the IGF-II/ERK signaling pathway.
- Gangrenous gas necrosis of the spleen: a case report. [Journal Article]BMC Infect Dis 2019; 19(1):777BI
- CONCLUSIONS: Gangrenous necrosis of the spleen is a rare entity that can be successfully treated by splenectomy and antibiotics.
- Synergistic nourishing 'Yin' effect of iridoid and phenylpropanoid glycosides from Radix Scrophulariae in vivo and in vitro. [Journal Article]J Ethnopharmacol 2019; :112209JE
- CONCLUSIONS: The nourishing 'Yin' benefits were clearly produced when IG and PG were used in combination, which provided the scientific evidence of multiple-components and multiple-approach synergistic effect of Chinese traditional herbal medicine to control and management of diseases.
- Systematic exploration of Astragalus membranaceus and Panax ginseng as immune regulators: Insights from the comparative biological and computational analysis. [Journal Article]Phytomedicine 2019; :153077P
- CONCLUSIONS: A novel comprehensive molecular mechanism analysis method was established and applied to clarify the scientific connotation of AM and PG as immune regulation, with similar herbal tonic effect provided in clinical practice of TCM, which can provide a new line of research for drug development (immune booster) using AM and PG.
- Blimp-1 Contributes to the Development and Function of Regulatory B Cells. [Journal Article]Front Immunol 2019; 10:1909FI
- Regulatory B cells (Bregs) are a B cell subset that plays a suppressive role in immune responses. The CD19+CD1dhiCD5+ Bregs that can execute regulatory functions via secreting IL-10 are defined as B10 cells. Bregs suppress autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, whereas they exacerbate infectious diseases caused by bacteria, viruses, or parasites. Notably, the molecular mechanisms regulating the de…
Regulatory B cells (Bregs) are a B cell subset that plays a suppressive role in immune responses. The CD19+CD1dhiCD5+ Bregs that can execute regulatory functions via secreting IL-10 are defined as B10 cells. Bregs suppress autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, whereas they exacerbate infectious diseases caused by bacteria, viruses, or parasites. Notably, the molecular mechanisms regulating the development and functions of Bregs are still largely unknown. Furthermore, the biological impact of Bregs in fungal infection has not yet been demonstrated. Here, we compared the gene expression profiles of IL-10-producing and -non-producing mouse splenic B cells stimulated with lipopolysaccharide (LPS) or anti-CD40 antibody. Blimp-1, a transcription factor known to be critical for plasma cell differentiation, was found to be enriched in the IL-10-producing B cells. The frequency of Blimp-1+ B10 cells was increased in LPS-treated mice and in isolated B10 cells that were stimulated with LPS. Surprisingly, B cell-specific Blimp-1 knockout (Cko) mice, generated by CD19 promoter driven Cre recombinase-dependent deletion of Prdm1 (gene encoding Blimp-1), showed higher frequencies of B10 cells both in the steady state and following injection with LPS, as compared with control littermates. However, B10 cells lacking Blimp-1 failed to efficiently suppress the proliferation of naïve CD4+ T cells primed with anti-CD3 and anti-CD28 antibodies. B10 cells can be stimulated for further differentiation into plasmablasts, and a subset of plasmablasts express IL-10. We found that B10 cells from Cko mice failed to generate both IL-10-non-producing and IL-10-producing plasmablasts. Mechanistically, we found that Blimp-1 can directly suppress Il-10, whereas, in the presence of activated STAT3, Blimp-1 works together with activated STAT3 to upregulate Il-10. Moreover, we also found that B10 cells improve the clearance of Candida albicans infection but worsen the infection mortality. Notably, a lack of Blimp-1 in B10 cells did not change these effects of adoptively transferred B10 cells on fungal infections. Together, our data show that Blimp-1 regulates the generation, differentiation, and IL-10 production of Bregs.
- Impacts of GFP-FoxP3+ regulatory T cells on lupus hallmarks differ by genetic background and type of GFP knock-in. [Journal Article]Autoimmunity 2019; :1-9A
- FoxP3 reporter mice expressing green fluorescence protein (GFP) have been used as a very convenient tool to investigate the impact of regulatory T (Treg) cells on pathogenesis in autoimmune diseases. Here, we found that GFP-FoxP3+ knock-in (KI) mice showed alterations in the production of anti-nuclear autoantibodies (ANAs) and nephritis with different extent, depending on the presence or absence …
FoxP3 reporter mice expressing green fluorescence protein (GFP) have been used as a very convenient tool to investigate the impact of regulatory T (Treg) cells on pathogenesis in autoimmune diseases. Here, we found that GFP-FoxP3+ knock-in (KI) mice showed alterations in the production of anti-nuclear autoantibodies (ANAs) and nephritis with different extent, depending on the presence or absence of lupus susceptibility gene locus 1 (Sle1) and KI method: contrasting with B6.Sle1.fGFP-FoxP3 mice, expressing GFP via N-terminal insertion, B6.Sle1.iGFP-FoxP3, expressing GFP via bicistronic internal ribosome entry site-driven promotion, exhibited significantly lower penetrance of serum ANA, comparing to control B6.Sle1 mice. Moreover, B6.Sle1.GFP-FoxP3+ mice reduced the Sle1-induced splenomegaly and B-cell expansion independently of the KI method employed, mainly by reducing the numbers of transitional 1 (T1) B cells and CD21-CD23- B cells, including plasmablasts and plasma cells. The absolute numbers of both splenic CD4+ T cells and Treg cells from B6.Sle1.GFP-FoxP3 KI mice were significantly reduced but their proportion was not changed, compared to B6.Sle1 mice. Although the glomerular basement membranes were thickened in both B6.Sle1 and B6.Sle1.iGFP-FoxP3 mice, they were thinner in B6.Sle1.fGFP-FoxP3 mice. The latter mice expressed more nephrophilic autoantibodies and deposited more complement component 3 in glomeruli compared to B6.iGFP-FoxP3 mice. FoxP3+ Treg cells may modulate B-cell tolerance in lupus-prone B6.Sle1 mice, presumably by modulating pathogenic, nephrophilic autoantibody production and nephritis.
- Role of Collateral Venous Circulation in Prevention of Sinistral Portal Hypertension After Superior Mesenteric-Portal Vein Confluence Resection during Pancreaticoduodenectomy: a Single-Center Experience. [Journal Article]J Gastrointest Surg 2019JG
- CONCLUSIONS: Although subclinical SPH developed after SV ligation, postoperative gastrointestinal bleeding was uncommon.
- Infective endocarditis due to Granulicatella elegans presenting with musculoskeletal symptoms. [Journal Article]BMJ Case Rep 2019; 12(8)BC
- A 62-year-old man with essential hypertension and right L4-L5 hemilaminectomy was referred to rheumatology for evaluation of severe arthralgia and myalgia for 12 months. Review of symptoms was significant for night sweats and 20 pounds unintentional weight loss. Physical examination was significant for holosystolic murmur best heard at the cardiac apex of unclear chronicity. Laboratory investigat…
A 62-year-old man with essential hypertension and right L4-L5 hemilaminectomy was referred to rheumatology for evaluation of severe arthralgia and myalgia for 12 months. Review of symptoms was significant for night sweats and 20 pounds unintentional weight loss. Physical examination was significant for holosystolic murmur best heard at the cardiac apex of unclear chronicity. Laboratory investigations revealed elevated inflammatory markers, white blood cell count and B-type natriuretic peptide. Transoesophageal echocardiogram showed flail posterior mitral leaflet with severe mitral regurgitation and two vegetations (2.5×1 cm and 1.6×0.3 cm). Abdominal CT showed new focal splenic infarcts, and a brain MRI revealed subacute infarcts, consistent with the embolic phenomenon. Blood cultures grew Granulicatella elegans The patient underwent mitral valve replacement surgery followed by 6 weeks of parenteral therapy with vancomycin and gentamicin, with full recovery at a 3-month follow-up.
New Search Next
- Hyperactive Follicular Helper T Cells Contribute to Dysregulated Humoral Immunity in Patients With Liver Cirrhosis. [Journal Article]Front Immunol 2019; 10:1915FI
- CONCLUSIONS: We conclude that hyperactive Tfh cells contribute to dysregulated humoral immunity in patients with liver cirrhosis.