- Prophylaxis of Venous Thromboembolism after Hospital Discharge in Internal Medicine: Findings from the Observational FADOI-NoTEVole Study. [Journal Article]Thromb Haemost 2019TH
- CONCLUSIONS: In this study, one in five patients discharged from an Italian IMU received prophylaxis for VTE. The perceived thrombotic risk is significantly related to the use of prophylaxis.
- A gated quantum dot strongly coupled to an optical microcavity. [Journal Article]Nature 2019Nat
- The strong-coupling regime of cavity quantum electrodynamics (cavity QED) represents the light-matter interaction at the fully quantum level. Adding a single photon shifts the resonance frequencies, a profound nonlinearity. Cavity QED is a test bed of quantum optics1-3 and the basis of photon-photon and atom-atom entangling gates4,5. At microwave frequencies, success in cavity QED has had a trans…
The strong-coupling regime of cavity quantum electrodynamics (cavity QED) represents the light-matter interaction at the fully quantum level. Adding a single photon shifts the resonance frequencies, a profound nonlinearity. Cavity QED is a test bed of quantum optics1-3 and the basis of photon-photon and atom-atom entangling gates4,5. At microwave frequencies, success in cavity QED has had a transformative effect6. At optical frequencies, the gates are potentially much faster; the photons can propagate over long distances and can be detected easily. Following pioneering work on single atoms1-3,7, solid-state implementations using semiconductor quantum dots are emerging8-15. We present here a gated, ultralow-loss, frequency-tunable microcavity device. The gates allow both the quantum-dot charge and its resonance frequency to be controlled electrically; crucially, they allow cavity feeding10,11,13-17 to be eliminated. Even in the microcavity, the quantum dot has a linewidth close to the radiative limit. In addition to a very pronounced avoided-crossing in the spectral domain, we observe a clear coherent exchange of a single energy quantum between the 'atom' and cavity in the time domain (vacuum Rabi oscillations). Decoherence arises predominantly via the atom and photon loss channels. The coherence is exploited to probe the transitions between the singly and doubly excited photon-atom system via photon-statistics spectroscopy18.
- Is colorectal cancer a more aggressive disease in young patients? A population-based study from the Czech Republic. [Journal Article]Cancer Epidemiol 2019; 63:101621CE
- CONCLUSIONS: The better prognosis in young patients is presumably due to their better physiological reserve and lower incidence of comorbidities. Efforts should be made in younger patients to diagnose early and treat aggressively.
- Association between EGFR mutation and ageing, history of pneumonia and gastroesophageal reflux disease among patients with advanced lung cancer. [Journal Article]Eur J Cancer 2019; 122:101-108EJ
- CONCLUSIONS: Patients with EGFR-mutated advanced lung cancer were associated with ageing, history of being hospitalised for pneumonia and gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- Carotid Body Tumor Resection: Just As Safe Without Preoperative Embolization. [Journal Article]Ann Vasc Surg 2019AV
- CONCLUSIONS: CBT resection is a relatively rare procedure. The utility of preoperative tumor embolization has been questioned. This study demonstrates no benefit of preoperative tumor embolization.
- Juxtarenal Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm: Results Of Open Surgery In An Academic Center. [Journal Article]Ann Vasc Surg 2019AV
- CONCLUSIONS: JRA open surgical repair can be performed with low morbidity and mortality. Although transient acute renal dysfunction may be relatively frequent, the need for hemodialysis is low. Our study is a reference point to compare with endovascular repair.
- Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic profiling of four antimicrobials against Acinetobacter baumannii infection. [Journal Article]Microb Pathog 2019; :103809MP
- CONCLUSIONS: This study suggested that measurement of MICs, individualized therapy and therapeutic drug-level monitoring should be considered together to achieve the optimal drug exposure. That will provide the best chance of achieving the highest probability of a successful clinical or microbiological response, and avoiding the induced resistance.
- RFQAmodel: Random Forest Quality Assessment to identify a predicted protein structure in the correct fold. [Journal Article]PLoS One 2019; 14(10):e0218149Plos
- While template-free protein structure prediction protocols now produce good quality models for many targets, modelling failure remains common. For these methods to be useful it is important that users can both choose the best model from the hundreds to thousands of models that are commonly generated for a target, and determine whether this model is likely to be correct. We have developed Random F…
While template-free protein structure prediction protocols now produce good quality models for many targets, modelling failure remains common. For these methods to be useful it is important that users can both choose the best model from the hundreds to thousands of models that are commonly generated for a target, and determine whether this model is likely to be correct. We have developed Random Forest Quality Assessment (RFQAmodel), which assesses whether models produced by a protein structure prediction pipeline have the correct fold. RFQAmodel uses a combination of existing quality assessment scores with two predicted contact map alignment scores. These alignment scores are able to identify correct models for targets that are not otherwise captured. Our classifier was trained on a large set of protein domains that are structurally diverse and evenly balanced in terms of protein features known to have an effect on modelling success, and then tested on a second set of 244 protein domains with a similar spread of properties. When models for each target in this second set were ranked according to the RFQAmodel score, the highest-ranking model had a high-confidence RFQAmodel score for 67 modelling targets, of which 52 had the correct fold. At the other end of the scale RFQAmodel correctly predicted that for 59 targets the highest-ranked model was incorrect. In comparisons to other methods we found that RFQAmodel is better able to identify correct models for targets where only a few of the models are correct. We found that RFQAmodel achieved a similar performance on the model sets for CASP12 and CASP13 free-modelling targets. Finally, by iteratively generating models and running RFQAmodel until a model is produced that is predicted to be correct with high confidence, we demonstrate how such a protocol can be used to focus computational efforts on difficult modelling targets. RFQAmodel and the accompanying data can be downloaded from http://opig.stats.ox.ac.uk/resources.
- Rate of Initial Hearing Loss During Early Observation Predicts Time to Non-Serviceable Hearing in Patients With Conservatively Managed Sporadic Vestibular Schwannoma. [Journal Article]Otol Neurotol 2019ON
- CONCLUSIONS: Rate of early PTA and WRS decline during the initial period of observation are significantly associated with time to development of non-serviceable hearing. This information may facilitate accurate patient counseling and inform decision-making regarding prospective disease management.
New Search Next
- Mortality and Cause of Death in Hearing Loss Participants: A Longitudinal Follow-up Study Using a National Sample Cohort. [Journal Article]Otol Neurotol 2019ON
- CONCLUSIONS: Hearing loss was associated with a significant increase in mortality.