Purulent Skin and Soft Tissue Infections (Furuncles, Carbuncles, Abscesses)
Methicillin-resistant S. aureus (MRSA) and methicillin-sensitive S. aureus (MSSA) account for 25%–50% of cases.
- Incision and drainage (I&D) alone is usually adequate, especially for abscesses measuring <5 cm.
- Antibiotic therapy is needed for extensive disease; systemic illness; rapid progression with associated cellulitis; comorbid diseases (diabetes mellitus); immunosuppression, location on face, hand, or genitalia; or lack of response to I&D.
- Empiric antibiotic therapy should cover community-acquired MRSA. Oral antibiotics include clindamycin 300–450 mg q8h, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX) 1–2 double-strength tablets q12h, doxycycline 100 mg q12h, and linezolid 600 mg q12h.
- Duration of antibiotic therapy is usually 5–7 days.1
- Stevens DL, Bisno AL, Chambers HF, et al. Practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of skin and soft tissue infections: 2014 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis. 2014;59(2):147-159. [PMID:24947530]
- Chapter 14: Treatment of Infectious Diseases
- Principles of Therapy
- Toxin-Mediated Infections
- Toxic Shock Syndrome
- Skin, Soft Tissue, and Bone Infections
- Purulent Skin and Soft Tissue Infections (Furuncles, Carbuncles, Abscesses)
- Nonpurulent Skin and Soft Tissue Infections (Erysipelas and Cellulitis)
- Central Nervous System Infections
- Cardiovascular Infections
- Upper Respiratory Tract Infections
- Lower Respiratory Tract Infections
- Gastrointestinal and Abdominal Infections
- Other Infections
- Genitourinary Infections
- Systemic Mycoses and Atypical Organisms
- Tick-Borne Infections
- Mosquito-Borne Infections
- Bite Wounds
- Health Care-Associated Infections
- Bioterrorism and Emerging Infections
© Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
The Washington Manual of Medical Therapeutics helps you diagnose and treat hundreds of medical conditions. Consult clinical recommendations from a resource that has been trusted on the wards for 50+ years. Complete Product Information.