- Priapism, an emerging complication in β-thalassemia intermedia patients. [Case Reports]
- HHemoglobin 2014; 38(5):351-4
- The increase in survival rate of β-thalassemia (β-thal) patients allowed for the appearance and manifestation of several complications in almost every organ system. Priapism in β-thal patients is rar...
The increase in survival rate of β-thalassemia (β-thal) patients allowed for the appearance and manifestation of several complications in almost every organ system. Priapism in β-thal patients is rarely reported in the literature. We herein report and investigate the occurrence of two cases of priapism in two young patients with β-thal intermedia (β-TI). The potential mechanisms are due to either a cellular mechanism involving a thrombus obstructing the efferent venules of the corpora cavernosa leading to priapism, or a recently elucidated functional mechanism that causes alteration of nitric oxide (NO) response of the penis, ultimately causing priapism. This should incite clinicians for a close follow-up and monitoring of high risk patients who are susceptible to developing priapism.
- A case of levocetirizine-induced fixed drug eruption and cross-reaction with piperazine derivatives. [Journal Article]
- APAsia Pac Allergy 2013; 3(4):281-4
- Fixed drug eruption is an uncommon adverse drug reaction caused by delayed cell-mediated hypersensitivity. Levocetirizine is an active (R)-enatiomer of cetirizine and there have been a few reports of...
Fixed drug eruption is an uncommon adverse drug reaction caused by delayed cell-mediated hypersensitivity. Levocetirizine is an active (R)-enatiomer of cetirizine and there have been a few reports of fixed drug eruption related to these antihistamines. We experienced a case of levocetirizine-induced fixed drug eruption and cross-reaction with other piperazine derivatives confirmed by patch test. A 73-year-old female patient presented with recurrent generalized itching, cutaneous bullae formation, rash and multiple pigmentation at fixed sites after taking drugs for common cold. She took bepotastine besilate (Talion®) and levocetirizine (Xyzal®) as antihistamine. She took acetaminophen, pseudoephedrine 60 mg / triprolidine 2.5 mg (Actifed®), dihydrocodeinebitartrate 5 mg / di-methylephedrine hydrochloride 17.5 mg / chlorpheniramine maleate 1.5 mg / guaifenesin 50 mg (Codening®) and aluminium hydroxide 200 mg / magnesium carbonate 120 mg (Antad®) at the same time. Patch test was done with suspected drugs and the result was positive with levocetirizine. We additionally performed patch test for other antihistamines such as cetirizine, hydroxyzine, fexofenadine and loratadine. Piperazine derivatives (cetirizine and hydroxyzine) were positive, but piperidine derivatives (fexofenadine and loratadine) were negative to patch test. There was no adverse drug reaction when she was challenged with fexofenadine. We report a case of levocetirizine-induced fixed drug eruption confirmed by patch test. Cross-reactions were only observed in the piperazine derivatives and piperidine antihistamine was tolerant to the patient.
- ["Of snakes and crocodiles": central side effects of nose drops and facts about rhinitis medicamentosa]. [Journal Article]
- KKinderkrankenschwester 2011; 30(10):406-8
- Simultaneous determination of triprolidine and pseudoephedrine in human plasma by liquid chromatography-ion trap mass spectrometry. [Journal Article]
- JCJ Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2009 Dec 15; 877(32):4071-8
- A highly efficient, selective and specific method for simultaneous quantitation of triprolidine and pseudoephedrine in human plasma by liquid chromatography-ion trap-tandem mass spectrometry coupled ...
A highly efficient, selective and specific method for simultaneous quantitation of triprolidine and pseudoephedrine in human plasma by liquid chromatography-ion trap-tandem mass spectrometry coupled with electro spray ionization (LC-ESI-ion trap-tandem MS) has been validated and successfully applied to a clinical pharmacokinetic study. Both targeted compounds together with the internal standard (gabapentin) were extracted from the plasma by direct protein precipitation. Chromatographic separation was achieved on a C(18) ACE((R)) column (50.0mmx2.1mm, 5mum, Advance Chromatography Technologies, Aberdeen, UK), using an isocratic mobile phase, consisting of water, methanol and formic acid (55:45:0.5, v/v/v), at a flow-rate of 0.3mL/min. The transition monitored (positive mode) was m/z 279.1-->m/z 208.1 for triprolidine, m/z 165.9-->m/z 148.0 for pseudoephedrine and m/z 172.0-->m/z 154.0 for gabapentin (IS). This method had a chromatographic run time of 5.0min and a linear calibration curves ranged from 0.2 to 20.0ng/mL for triprolidine and 5.0-500.0ng/mL for pseudoephedrine. The within- and between-batch accuracy and precision (expressed as coefficient of variation, %C.V.) evaluated at four quality control levels were within 94.3-106.3% and 1.0-9.6% respectively. The mean recoveries of triprolidine, pseudoephedrine and gabapentin were 93.6, 76.3 and 82.0% respectively. Stability of triprolidine and pseudoephedrine was assessed under different storage conditions. The validated method was successfully employed for the bioequivalence study of triprolidine and pseudoephedrine formulation in twenty six volunteers under fasting conditions.
- Diurnal variation of prescribing pattern of primary care doctors in Bahrain. [Journal Article]
- JEJ Eval Clin Pract 2007; 13(1):25-30
- CONCLUSIONS: A significant diurnal variation in prescribing, and polypharmacy practice were related to the training background of the doctors. This quantitative study provides the baseline data for monitoring primary care prescribing practices in Bahrain. To further evaluate the underlying factors that influence drug use indicators, a qualitative study is needed.
- Treatment of the common cold. [Randomized Controlled Trial]
- JMJ Med Assoc Thai 2003; 86 Suppl 2:S362-72
- CONCLUSIONS: Dayquil/Nyquil are as effective as Actifed DM plus paracetamol in controlling the symptoms and signs of the common cold, but have fewer adverse effects. The quality of life assessed during the use of the drugs was significantly higher in the Dayquil/Nyquil group, and according to the patients, they prefered Dayquil/Nyquil more than Actifed DM plus paracetamol.
- Kinetic spectrophotometric methods for the quantitation of triprolidine in bulk and in drug formulations. [Journal Article]
- JPJ Pharm Biomed Anal 2001; 26(2):265-72
- A kinetic method for the accurate and sensitive determination of triprolidine has been described. The method is based on the alkaline oxidation of triprolidine with KMnO(4). At a fixed time of 20 min...
A kinetic method for the accurate and sensitive determination of triprolidine has been described. The method is based on the alkaline oxidation of triprolidine with KMnO(4). At a fixed time of 20 min, the formed manganate ion is spectrophotometrically measured at 612 nm. The concentration of triprolidine is calculated using the calibration equation for the fixed time method. Beer's law was obeyed from 6 to 40 microg ml(-1) and the R.S.D. (n=10) was 0.97%. Recovery was 99.80%. The method is suitable for quantitative determination of triprolidine in the presence of co-formulated drugs, since pseudoephedrine hydrochloride, which is frequently co-formulated with triprolidine did not interfere with this assay. The intra- and inter-day R.S.D. values indicated the ruggedness of the method. The method has been applied successfully to commercial tablet dosage form. The results obtained agreed with those obtained by the BP method. The determination of triprolidine by the fixed-concentration and rate constant methods is feasible with the calibration equations obtained, but the fixed time method proves to be more applicable.
- ["Of snakes and crocodiles". Central side effects caused by nose drops]. [Case Reports]
- HNOHNO 1998; 46(3):276-80
- [A double-blind, placebo-controlled study on the efficacy of Rinasek in symptomatic treatment of seasonal and non-seasonal rhinitis]. [Controlled Clinical Trial]
- MPMed Pregl 1995; 48(7-8):255-9
- In order to assess the efficacy of Rinasek in symptomatic treatment of seasonal and nonseasonal rhinitis, 40 ambulatory otorhinolaryngologic patients were multicentrically examined in a placebo contr...
In order to assess the efficacy of Rinasek in symptomatic treatment of seasonal and nonseasonal rhinitis, 40 ambulatory otorhinolaryngologic patients were multicentrically examined in a placebo controlled double-blind study. Clinical and other findings show that the drug worked excellent in 46.6%, well in 13.3%, weak in 13.3% and in 10% of patients it had no effects. Consequently, Rinasek worked positively in 73.2%, and that is the best reason to recommend its application.
New Search Next
- The influence of diuretics on the excretion and metabolism of doping agents: Part VI. Pseudoephedrine. [Controlled Clinical Trial]
- BDBiopharm Drug Dispos 1991 Jan-Feb; 12(1):37-48
- A capillary gas chromatographic method with nitrogen specific detection is presented for measuring pseudoephedrine and its major metabolite norpseudoephedrine in urine after derivatization with trifl...
A capillary gas chromatographic method with nitrogen specific detection is presented for measuring pseudoephedrine and its major metabolite norpseudoephedrine in urine after derivatization with trifluoroacetic anhydride. After the oral intake of 49.2 mg pseudoephedrine (ACTIFED) the active substance is nearly quantitatively excreted in urine over a 48 hr period. From 1 to 7 percent is metabolized to norpseudoephedrine. The intake of acetazolamide results in a suppression of the pseudoephedrine concentration for at least 12 h. The diuretic effect after the intake of 1.51 mineral water could be compared with the effect obtained with 1 mg bumetanide and results in a decrease in pseudoephedrine concentration by a factor 4 for several hours.