- [Current therapy of Peyronie's disease]. [Journal Article]
- UUrologe A 2018 Aug 16
- Peyronie's disease (PD) is a heterogeneous disorder with the classical penile symptoms of plaque formation, penile pain, deviation, penile shortening and erectile dysfunction. The etiology is unknown...
Peyronie's disease (PD) is a heterogeneous disorder with the classical penile symptoms of plaque formation, penile pain, deviation, penile shortening and erectile dysfunction. The etiology is unknown. Microtraumatic lesions with the development of an inelastic fibrous scar formation at the level of the tunica albuginea are discussed as a trigger mechanism besides a questionable genetically linked atypical wound healing. A non-surgical etiological treatment is not possible although several conservative treatment regimens are applied. In the stable stage of the disease the surgical treatment of penile curvature is the primary surgical goal. Depending on the grade of the curvature, penile length, and erectile dysfunction, various types of corrective surgery can be carried out. This article provides an overview about the current state of the diagnostic work-up, conservative management and surgical treatment options.
- [Diagnosis and management of sleep-related painful erections:A report of 9 cases]. [Journal Article]
- ZNZhonghua Nan Ke Xue 2016; 22(4):330-4
- CONCLUSIONS: Chlorimipramine, combination of chlorimipramine with medicine, and antiandrogen therapy are all evidently effective for the treatment of primary SRPE.
- Practice Patterns Among Korean Urologists for Glans Penis Augmentation Using Hyaluronic Acid Filler in the Management of Premature Ejaculation. [Journal Article]
- SMSex Med 2018 Aug 02
- CONCLUSIONS: Korean urologists performed GPA using HA filler when pharmacotherapy failed or if there was a response to topical treatment. Paresthesia and hypoesthesia after GPA using HA filler are rare, and no cases of erectile dysfunction were encountered by Korean urologists. Jeong HG, Ahn ST, Kim JW, et al. Practice Patterns Among Korean Urologists for Glans Penis Augmentation Using Hyaluronic Acid Filler in the Management of Pre-Mature Ejaculation. Sex Med 2018;XX:XXX-XXX.
- Dorsal penile nerve block for circumcision in pediatric patients: A prospective, observer-blinded, randomized controlled clinical trial for the comparison of ultrasound-guided vs landmark technique. [Journal Article]
- PAPaediatr Anaesth 2018 Jul 23
- CONCLUSIONS: Compared with the landmark-guided, the ultrasound-guided dorsal penile nerve block did not reduce the need for postoperative analgesia after circumcision in children, but was associated with an increase in the procedural time.
- The Relationship between Multiple Myeloma with Renal Failure and Metastatic Calcification. [Journal Article]
- CRCase Rep Hematol 2018; 2018:7819792
- While cases of multiple myeloma (MM) with metastatic calcification have been reported, the mechanisms for this calcification have yet to be explained. We observed a case of MM in a patient with end-s...
While cases of multiple myeloma (MM) with metastatic calcification have been reported, the mechanisms for this calcification have yet to be explained. We observed a case of MM in a patient with end-stage renal failure who developed vascular and pulmonary calcification. A 51-year-old male was diagnosed with Bence-Jones type MM and required maintenance hemodialysis. He was treated with bortezomib-dexamethasone, vincristine-doxorubicin-dexamethasone, the M2 protocol, and lenalidomide-dexamethasone (Rd) therapy. During the sixth cycle of Rd therapy, he complained of pain in both lower legs. Well-demarcated ulcers with severe pain had developed on the right lower leg, both exterior thighs, and penis. We found that the patient's serum intact parathyroid hormone level was elevated, while it had previously been permissively controlled. Computed tomography scan showed widespread centrilobular opacities of the bilateral lungs and high-density lesions along small blood vessels in the trunk and all four extremities. Histological calcifications were identified in small blood vessels and the alveolar walls. The risk of metastatic calcification in MM appears to be associated with renal failure, but not with MM itself.
- Novel Multi-Modal Analgesia Protocol Significantly Decreases Opioid Requirements in Inflatable Penile Prosthesis Patients. [Journal Article]
- JSJ Sex Med 2018; 15(8):1187-1194
- CONCLUSIONS: Multimodal pain management allows for effective pain control with minimal side effects, enhancing recovery.In our rigorous assessment of IPP patients, implementation of a novel MMA protocol achieved equivalent and effective pain control, while resulting in substantially fewer narcotics throughout the entire post-operative period following IPP implantation. Tong CMC, Lucas J, Shah A, et al. Novel Multi-Modal Analgesia Protocol Significantly Decreases Opioid Requirements in Inflatable Penile Prosthesis Patients. J Sex Med 2018;15:1187-1194.
- Resolvin D1 Promotes SIRT1 Expression to Counteract the Activation of STAT3 and NF-κB in Mice with Septic-Associated Lung Injury. [Journal Article]
- IInflammation 2018 Jul 16
- Resolvin D1 (RvD1) is a novel endogenous docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)-derived lipid mediators, which possesses a dual role of anti-inflammation and promotes inflammation resolution. The aim of the pres...
Resolvin D1 (RvD1) is a novel endogenous docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)-derived lipid mediators, which possesses a dual role of anti-inflammation and promotes inflammation resolution. The aim of the present study was to assess the effects of RvD1 on cecal ligation and puncture (CLP) model of sepsis and explore the underlying mechanism. Six-to-eight-week-old male C57BL/6 mice were randomly divided into following three groups: sham-operated group (SO), CLP model group (CLP), and CLP+RvD1 group (RvD1). The SO group underwent the sham operation. The RvD1 groups were administered RvD1 (10-ng/g body weight) by penile vein injection, but the CLP groups were administered the same volume of vehicle (PBS) after CLP. We assessed the survival benefit of RvD1 in CLP-induced septic mice for 7 days. After 24 h, mice were sacrificed, bronchoalveolar lavage fluids (BALF) was collected for proinflammatory cytokines assay, and albumin assay and the lung tissues were harvested for histologic analysis, myeloperoxidase (MPO) activity and the expression of Sirtuin 1 (SIRT1), signal transducers, and activators of transcription 3 (STAT3), nuclear factor-κB (NF-κB), and mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPKs). RvD1 treatment increased the survival time in mice with sepsis induced by CLP, reducing the MPO activity and albumin level at 24 h. The levels of inflammatory cytokines, including tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-α), interleukin-1 beta (IL-1β), and interleukin-6 (IL-6) in BALF were significantly decreased by RvD1. RvD1 promoted SIRT1 expression and suppressed the activation of NF-κB, STAT3, ERK, and p38 in lung tissues of septic mice. These results suggest that RvD1 may improve survival and attenuate the degree of lung inflammation reaction in mice with CLP by suppressing STAT3, NF-κB, ERK, and p38 expressions through a mechanism partly dependent on SIRT1.
- Penile Paraffinoma. [Review]
- EUEur Urol Focus 2018 Jul 11
- Penile paraffinoma is a rare cause of penile mass that can occur following injection of liquid paraffin, performed illicitly for penile augmentation. Over the past 2 yr, we have observed an increasin...
Penile paraffinoma is a rare cause of penile mass that can occur following injection of liquid paraffin, performed illicitly for penile augmentation. Over the past 2 yr, we have observed an increasing number of cases presenting with the complications of penile paraffinoma; three patients of central European origin have required inpatient treatment at our institution and posed a significant management dilemma. This mini-review aims to review the literature on the aetiopathogenesis, clinical features, diagnosis, and management of penile paraffinoma. A systematic search of PubMed and Scopus was performed with 10 case series and 26 case reports identified between 1956 and 2017. A total of 124 cases, with a mean age of 36.29 yr, were identified. The majority originated in Korea, and the most common injected material was liquid paraffin (80.6%). Patients presented with pain/swelling, ulceration/fistulae, and penile deformity. The majority required surgical excision of paraffinoma followed by reconstruction with a variety of procedures including split skin grafting, scrotal skin flap reconstruction, and prepuce grafting. Mean duration of follow-up was 15.8 mo. Penile paraffinoma remains a rare presentation; however, it can present management difficulties. We have had an increase in cases, with three patients presenting with complications following injection of paraffin in our unit in the past 2 yr. Definitive management includes surgical excision and reconstruction as required with early involvement of plastic surgeons. There may be a role for conservative management; however, long-term outcomes are unclear. There may be a need for targeted preventative measures through public health agencies in communities where the practice is more prevalent.
- Development of a clinically relevant symptom index to assess patients with chronic orchialgia/chronic scrotal content pain. [Journal Article]
- TATransl Androl Urol 2018; 7(Suppl 2):S163-S168
- CONCLUSIONS: Men with chronic orchialgia have a high incidence of associated symptoms. Most bothersome symptoms with highest QOL impact include burning pain, pain at night, radiation to groin and spermatic cord, erectile dysfunction and low libido. Based on these findings, we have created a candidate orchialgia symptom index with domains of pain, sexual symptoms and QOL that will undergo prospective validation.
New Search Next
- Lichen Sclerosus Accompanied by Urethral Squamous Cell Carcinoma: A Retrospective Study From a Urethral Referral Center. [Journal Article]
- AJAm J Mens Health 2018; 12(5):1692-1699
- To evaluate the characteristics of lichen sclerosus (LS) accompanied by urethral squamous cell carcinoma (USCC) and to raise urologists' awareness about the early management of LS, a retrospective an...
To evaluate the characteristics of lichen sclerosus (LS) accompanied by urethral squamous cell carcinoma (USCC) and to raise urologists' awareness about the early management of LS, a retrospective analysis was performed on the clinical features, diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis of 18 male genital LS accompanied by USCC patients who were referred to Shanghai Sixth People's Hospital between June 2000 and August 2014. All of the patients had a long-term history of LS, urethral strictures, and urethral dilatation. Seven patients are with distal (glanular or penile) USCC, 10 patients with proximal USCC, and one with entire USCC. The most common presentation, except for LS and urethral strictures, was periurethral abscess, followed by extraurethral mass, pelvic pain, urethrocutaneous fistula, hematuria, and bloody urethral discharge. All had primary surgical excision that was adapted to tumor location and extension. All of the USCC were positive for P53 and Ki-67. P16 was positive in four cases of human papillomavirus (HPV)-associated USCC and negative in 14 cases of HPV-independent USCC. Patients with distal USCC had a significant longer survival time than proximal USCC ( p < .05). LS should be treated early to prevent the disease progression. LS probably has some associations with USCC. Distal USCC has a relatively better prognosis than proximal USCC.