Complementary/Alternative Medicine: This monograph describes a natural or herbal product that is not subject to FDA guidelines for medicines. Patients and clinicians are advised to read package labels carefully to ensure safe and efficacious use.
- glycine max
- soy protein
- Menopausal symptoms.
- Prevention of breast, lung, endometrial, thyroid and prostate cancers.
Soy is the most significant dietary source of isoflavones. Pharmacologic effects of soy include lowering of homocysteine levels, inhibition of platelet aggregation, lowering of BP, inhibition of cholesterol absorption in the small bowel and lowering of LDL cholesterol. Soy isoflavones also have antioxidant, antiproliferative and estrogenic effects.
- Decreased cholesterol.
- Decreased hot flashes in menopausal women.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown
- End stage renal disease.
- Urinary bladder cancer (may increase risk).
Use Cautiously in:
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
GI: bloating, constipation, gastrointestinal upset
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
Natural Drug Interaction
- Antibiotics may ↓ effects of soy.
- May inhibit effects of estrogensand tamoxifen.
- May ↑ risk of hypertensive crisis with MAO inhibitors.
- May ↓ INR of patients taking warfarin..
PO: (Adults)35–120 mg/day.
- Monitor BP prior to and periodically during therapy.
- Obtain a diet history, especially with regard to fat consumption.
- Assess the frequency and intensity of hot flashes prior to and periodically during therapy.
Lab Test Considerations:
Monitor blood glucose, lipid profile, hormones, and thyroid function before and periodically during therapy.
- Deficient knowledge, related to diet and medication regimen (Patient/Family/Teaching)
- PO: Administer as directed.
- Instruct patient to take as directed.
- Instruct patient to notify health care professional of all Rx or OTC medications, vitamins, or herbal products being taken and to consult with health care professional before taking other medications.
- Decrease in frequency and intensity of hot flashes.
- Reduction in serum cholesterol levels.
The Washington Manual of Medical Therapeutics helps you diagnose and treat hundreds of medical conditions. Consult clinical recommendations from a resource that has been trusted on the wards for 50+ years. Learn more.