- Acute viral hepatitis (ALT > AST)
- Toxic hepatitis, eg, acetaminophen
- Alcoholic hepatitis (AST < ALT)
- Cirrhosis (AST > ALT)
- Vascular: right-sided congestive heart failure, shock liver, Budd-Chiari syndrome
- Biliary tract obstruction (followed by increased alkaline phosphatase and bilirubin)
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (formerly NASH)
- Metabolic, eg, hemochromatosis, Wilson’s disease
- Liver abscess
- Hepatocellular or metastatic cancer
- Drugs, eg, INH, statins
- Heart or skeletal muscle injury
- Celiac sprue (ALT)
- Acetaminophen, Amanita mushroom, other toxins
- Viral, especially hepatitis A
- Shock liver (ischemia)
- Budd-Chiari syndrome
- Right-sided heart failure
See related DDx
AST/ALT increased is a sample topic from the Diagnosaurus.
To view other topics, please log in or purchase a subscription.
The Washington Manual is an award-winning, complete mobile solution for nurses and students. Look up information on diseases, tests, and procedures; then consult the database with 5,000+ drugs or refer to 65,000+ dictionary terms. Complete Product Information.
Zeiger, Roni F.. "AST/ALT Increased." Diagnosaurus, 4th ed., McGraw-Hill Education, 2015. The Washington Manual, www.unboundmedicine.com/washingtonmanual/view/Diagnosaurus/114726/all/AST_ALT_increased.
Zeiger RFR. AST/ALT increased. Diagnosaurus. McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. https://www.unboundmedicine.com/washingtonmanual/view/Diagnosaurus/114726/all/AST_ALT_increased. Accessed March 28, 2023.
Zeiger, R. F. (2015). AST/ALT increased. In Diagnosaurus (4th ed.). McGraw-Hill Education. https://www.unboundmedicine.com/washingtonmanual/view/Diagnosaurus/114726/all/AST_ALT_increased
Zeiger RFR. AST/ALT Increased [Internet]. In: Diagnosaurus. McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. [cited 2023 March 28]. Available from: https://www.unboundmedicine.com/washingtonmanual/view/Diagnosaurus/114726/all/AST_ALT_increased.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - AST/ALT increased ID - 114726 A1 - Zeiger,Roni F, BT - Diagnosaurus UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/washingtonmanual/view/Diagnosaurus/114726/all/AST_ALT_increased PB - McGraw-Hill Education ET - 4 DB - The Washington Manual DP - Unbound Medicine ER -